United Way of Pettis County
Sedalia, Missouri | https://www.spcuw.org
United Way envisions a world where every individual has an opportunity to succeed, and entire communities thrive as a result. Advancing the common good is less about helping one person at a time and more about changing systems to help all of us. We focus on education, financial stability and health, the building blocks for a good life and a strong community. United Way provides crucial funding to local non-profits whose missions align with our core values. Instead of soliciting individual contributions, organizations can count on United Way to administer a single campaign that raises money for several causes at once. A donation to United Way is an investment in a powerful network of interconnected programs and services. Your donation to United Way has a system-wide impact. For example, if you gave directly to a homeless shelter, that shelter would use the money to provide food and possibly clothing to its’ residents. What happens when the resident of the shelter needs a job and a car to get to the job? Your United Way contribution goes to programs to help individuals find work, transportation, housing, childcare, and so much more. It takes a network of interconnected organizations to help members of Pettis County get back on their feet. When you donate to United Way, you strengthen that system which ultimately strengthens the entire community.
The United Way of Pettis County provides funding and support to the following Agencies/Initiative that focus on childhood success in education:
- Boy Scouts of America, Boys and Girls Club, Pettis County 4H, and Show Me Christian Youth Home provide comprehensive character development.
- Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts are community-based programs that focus on our youth.
- Boys and Girls Club assist with academic success.
- Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, Boys and Girls Club, Pettis County 4H, and Show Me Christian Youth Home provide character and leadership development.
- CACTUS assists with providing needed school supplies.
- Blind of Central MO and Association of Persons with Disability assist by providing needed adaptive equipment.
- Dolly Parton Imagination Library delivers a brand new, age-appropriate book to children residing in Pettis County every month from birth until five years of age, creating a home library of up to 60 books and instilling a love of books and reading from an early age. This initiative is completely funded by Pettis County United Way!
The United Way of Pettis County provides funding and support to the following Agencies that focus on improving these areas:
- Promotes Healthy Lifestyles: Boys and Girls Club, Girl Scouts, and Boy Scouts
- Provides CPR and First Aid Training: American Red Cross
- Conducts Swim Lessons and Water Safety Programs: American Red Cross
- Provides Support for Healthy Independent Living for Seniors: Sedalia Senior Center
- Offers Medical and Legal Resources: Citizens Against Spousal Abuse (CASA)
- Provides Healthy Food and Prescription Drug Assistance: Open Door Service Center
- Provides Transportation for Seniors to medical appointments: Sedalia Senior Center
- Provides Healthy Food Distribution: Food Bank for Northeast and Central Missouri
- Provides Delivery of Healthy Food: Meals on Wheels
- Provides Financial Assistance for Adaptive Equipment for those individuals with Disabilities: Association for Persons with Disabilities
- Offers Home Aids for visually impaired individuals: Blind of Central MO
- Offers Telephone Assistance for visually impaired individuals: Blind of Central MO
- Adult and Children Advocacy: CASA
- Provides support to victims of sexual assault/abuse and neglect: CASA
- Provides Youth & Family Counseling: Show Me Christian Youth Home
- Offers Crisis Counseling: CASA
- Offers Support Groups to visually impaired individuals: Blind of Central MO
The United Way of Pettis County helps lead initiatives that focus on Mental Health and Substance Abuse as well as Hunger. We partner with local non-profit organizations to create educational cooking classes called Set the Table. These classes are not only free, attendees also get to take home an electric skillet, cooking supplies and food prepared by the chef and participants.
The United Way of Pettis County also partners with FamilyWize in providing access to their prescription savings card.
The United Way of Pettis County provides funding and support to the following Agencies that focus on assisting with income stability:
Employment Assistance and Job Training
Pathway 2 Purpose: Show Me Christian Youth Home
Empowering Pettis County: Association for Person’s with Disability
Job Training and Opportunities: CASA
Food, Shelter and Other Basic Needs
Disaster Services: American Red Cross
Home Delivered Meals: Meals on Wheels and Sedalia Senior Center
Homeless Services: Pettis County Community Partnership
Buddy Pack Program: Food Bank of Central and NE MO
Food Insecurity: Open Door
Emergency Utilities and Rent Assistance: American Red Cross and Open Door
Emergency Assistance for Military Personnel: American Red Cross
Shelter & Food for Victims of Abuse: CASA
Other ways United Way assists in improving financial stability is by partnering with the IRS and Tax Slayer so that every household with a simple return can file their federal and state taxes for free!