About Vision Carthage
Our mission is to promote the beautification and revitalization of Carthage through volunteerism, partnerships, community and business engagement.
A few things we've already accomplished:
• Partner with the City to get planters on business side of Square
• Create landscaping around monuments on Courthouse grounds
• Partner with City and CWEP to put hanging flower baskets on light poles on interior portion of the Square. Collaborate with Innovative Industries for watering services.
• Restoration Carthage program: Thanks to a grant from Steadley, we have been able to replace an entire block of sidewalks on Grant Street! And we have more to do!
Some future plans:
• New mural installation on Square.
• Promote history and visibility of Route 66 & Jefferson Hwy.
• Connecting a walking trail to the west side of Carthage through town and to Kellogg Lake area
• Increase signage at Central & Garrison to further note the historical significance of Route 66. Ideas include street inlays, street stencils and/or sidewalk mile markers.
• Sidewalk improvements beginning downtown and extending throughout the city. We feel these improvements will be more welcoming to disabled residents and visitors as well as further encourage foot traffic and healthy family lifestyles.
• Welcome signage located on east side of Hwy 96 (Kellogg Lake), west side of Central Ave at Hwy 71 by-pass, South Grand Ave (EL Charro) and possibly at Fir Rd and Hwy 71 by-pass. All signs would have similar welcome to Carthage branding and utilize Carthage stone.
• Attractive Streetscaping that may include: trees in the sidewalks and landscaping, hanging baskets along streets & square, music on the square, banners on the light post that are appropriate for the season or activity, benches on the square and Christmas lights on all main thoroughfares
• Increased signage and turn by turn directions on Route 66 and promotion of the Jasper County Courthouse Route 66 Museum.
• Re-evaluating and promoting zoning and façade plan for downtown and Square.
• Extending sidewalks on the North, South & West sides of the square