About Fair Acres Family YMCA
The Carthage YMCA was originally formed in 1890 and was located on the second floor of what is now Café 311. In 1909 the first Y facility was opened on Main Street, just past the High School, near downtown Carthage. The Y served our citizens from 1890 until 1968 when it closed. Then, in 1990-1992 a group of dedicated community leaders came together and raised funds to build a new YMCA, which opened in 1993.
The new Y is located at 2600 S. Grand Avenue and is now called the Fair Acres Family YMCA, which got its name from the Fair Acres Nursing Home located near the same location where the current Y is located. For 93 years the YMCA has addressed the needs of our community and surrounding areas.
The YMCA has grown and changed with the times, providing services and solutions to community problems that impact the population. Financial assistance, teaching children to swim, youth basketball, flag football, volleyball, indoor soccer, teen leadership programs and after school child care are just some of the ways the Y provides for the community.